Wednesday, May 22, 2013

On the care and keeping of boys...

" It takes a great deal to feed a growing boy"- Ma Wilder from Farmer Boy

I feel like I live this quote. My boys eat SO MUCH FOOD. I have at times found myself pondering if it would be cheaper to move to the country and buy a dairy cow, and plant a few acres of wheat. Once while I was checking out at COSTCO a bystander looked at my cart saw, 4 gallons of milk, 2 -20 lb bags of sugar, 1 -20 lb bag of flour,and asked "So you run a restaurant right?" Sometimes it feels like it. So why did you need to know about my mediocre homemaking attempts? I just felt you should. I knew you would care, deep down.

Now I would like to tackle a subject that is near and dear to my heart. Of course by "near and dear" I mean has caused me ridiculous amounts of frustration : baby gear!  I have owned 4 baby carriers, I have two strollers, two cribs, two changing tables, and almost all of these items I bought because I needed them. They were going to make this mothering gig so much easier! They were what a modern mama needed to handle so many little guys so close together. I now realize two important things 1) frugality can be your worst enemy, 2) even if you spend big bucks, baby gear can still fail you in epic embarrassing ways.

When I was expecting Gabe (oldest) I registered for and received the most affordable  gender neutral travel system that I could find. It worked fine I suppose, except that it weighed about eleventy billion lbs. When I realized that Ethan was on his way a mere two months later, I sold the set on craigslist and used that money toward a Graco double stroller. It was heaven for a while...
I was just so much better than those CRAZY parents who fork out 500-1000 dollars for a double or triple stroller. Pffft. Money wasters. Just watch how I rock out this mom thing with my frugal super powers. I railed against their excesses and materialism (in my head. safely). Y'all I have learned my lesson. I repent here and now publicly. Yesterday, the savages were acting extra nutty so I decided to take them all on a walk. Wait Briana! You don't have a triple stroller remember? You said you didn't need one?  That's right I put the baby in the ERGO carrier and the older boys in the double and headed out into hell my subdivision. We started down the drive and the stroller starts careening randomly to the right, at the same time my ERGO starts coming loose. This sent the baby bumping  back and forth across my chest. Of course he appreciated this SO much and started wailing that special wail he saves only for special occasions. We looked,I imagine, something like a circus wagon, driven by a cranky drunk clown. We only made it one street. So this is a very long way of asking does anybody have a triple stroller I can borrow? Or any recommendations for an affordable one? If I sell all of my useless stuff on Craigslist I am pretty sure I can come up with the cash . Anybody want to buy my useless stuff?  No? I think you could totally pull off  the cranky drunk clown look.



1 comment:

  1. Please get back to blogging! Your biggest blog fan--Momma

    ReplyDelete